Writing a movie review is simple and fun. We all love to watch a good film and most of us would like to know what other peoples opinions are on a film before we waste a couple of hours of or lives watching something that we just dont enjoy. So writing a review on that film you just watched will help another person to make a decision. I will show you some tips for writing a good film review.
We all have different perspectives on a film after watching it, and everyone will have an opinion on the movie they have just watched. Writing a review so that other people can see your opinion could be beneficial and also helps you get your feelings about the film off your chest.
If youre interested in writing movie reviews for profit or just for fun you will find that it isnt as difficult as you think. There are just a few steps to follow to share your opinions on the latest film.
You can catch up on the latest films in all manner of ways these days; you could easily purchase cheap DVDs online. The Amazon market place has a huge selection of movies to choose from. You could even stream movies online.
- Once you have selected your movie, get familiar with its context.
- So before you have even seen the movies you should get yourself familiar with it.
- Have some idea about the actors in the film like what films they have done in the past?
- Have they won any awards for past performances, are they known for a certain style? Etc.
- Is the movie based on any historical event or book?
- Other things that would be useful to note is, is the film a sequel or a remake?
- By learning this information about the film means you will be able to make some comparisons in your review, like the actors performance in this film compared to pass performances, or how the remake compares to the original.
- Once you have seen the movie you will most likely have a lot to say about the film.
- Formulate your opinion of the film into one sentence to give your overall rating of the film.
- This will give your readers an instant idea of what you thought of the film.
- This will also form the foundation of your movie review.
- Starting your review with things such as “I thought this was an excellent movie because…” or “I didnt like this comedy because…” would be a good idea.
In writing a review one important tip is grab your reader immediately. This tip applies to most forms of writing. You will want to have the reader interested in what you have to say in the first few lines of your review. One idea is to start with a good quote from the movie; you could explain how this quote reflects the movie. You could also compare this film to other well-known films in the same category, or talk about the actor/actors performance in this film compared to other films they have been in, then end the paragraph with your opinion on the movie.
Now talk about the movie briefly, but dont give away any key things about the movie. Most professional reviews always include a recap of the film because most readers will want to know a little bit about the film and get the general idea of what the film is about. You can talk about the basics of the film and give a brief outline of how the film builds but dont give away key moments and definitely dont give away the ending. Keep the synopsis brief as your readers will be more interested in what your opinion of the film is.
You should back up you opinion of the film with specifics. Explain exactly why you didnt think the film stood up alongside other films in its category, or why you thought the film dragged on too long. Mention scenes that you thought were not necessary, or didnt make sense; you could also mention what you thought of the script backed up with quotes from the film.
Keep your review interesting, whether you are writing about a film that you didnt enjoy or a film that you thought was the best film ever the idea is to keep your reader interested. The reader will want to know exactly why you thought this film was so great or why its not worth watching. From start to finish your review should be engaging, but also be concise.
Give an honest review of the movie. Writing a movie review should not be used as a tool to turn everyone against a film or vent anger about your wasted hours watching it. If you write an honest in depth review of a film then it should be left up to the reader as to whether the still wish to watch the film or not.
So go on, write that review. The internet could do with more well written and honest movie reviews.